TED.com has raised the bar of what is expected in presentations and speeches. It is no longer good enough to talk to a PowerPoint, speakers are expected to have charisma, humour and a brilliant talk structure.
TED talks communicate high impact messages in a short space of time. When company leaders and spokespeople take on these methods they find their speaking is more memorable, more inspiring and more likely to influence change.
Working with trainers who regularly coach TEDx speakers, this course distils the essence of the TED format and makes it relevant for your organisation.
Who should attend the course?
The TED programme is designed for leaders and subject matter experts who desire greater influence and impact.
This programme can be tailored for beginners, seasoned speakers, or for a mixed group. It is typically attended by conference speakers and presenters who wish to rely less on PowerPoint and senior executives who would like to add spark to their company presentations.
What to expect from the course?
- Discovering an ‘idea worth sharing’: Identifying the components of a memorable message that can be passed on by audience members and going through the process of finding what that is for a specific talk.
- Shaping a Journey for the audience: Developing a narrative that draws the audience through your content using logical and emotional content.
- Building a unique communication style: Beginning to understand your strengths as a speaker and developing a speaking style that’s confident and unique.
- Memory / Speaking with no notes: Methods for minimizing reliance on notes; and at the same time building spontaneity into a talk.
- Editing skills for speakers: Understanding how to edit a talk to highlight the key information and remove any waffle.
- Memorable moments: Tools for emphasizing a key message; from anchor phrases, to use of props.
- Speaking like a TED Talker: Building the confidence to deliver a talk in an authentic and powerful manner.
1 Hour 1-2-1 Coaching
- Delegates receive a 1-2-1 coaching session to help them to hone their talk.
- 1-2-1 sessions are tailored to the individual’s needs, but typically involve sharpening the power and content of a talk, building confidence and advice on visual aids and innovation.
- Delegates deliver their prepared talks to an audience of colleagues, or the public, in a TED style showcase.
- Options for the showcase include: videoing the talks and offering awards for the best speakers.
What are the course outcomes?
The course outcomes are as follows:
- Greater clarity of ideas: TED talks are known for focusing on ‘one idea worth spreading’, a concept which is central to this course. Participants learn how to clear the clutter so the audience know exactly what message you want to get across.
- Charisma and personality: TED speakers are all very different, yet all have impact. Speakers will discover their own personal style and how to use this to engage their audience fully.
- Structural power: Speakers learn how to quickly and skilfully create a journey for their audience that keeps them engaged throughout.
- Better arguments: Most talks lack persuasive impact. They are too jumbled, or too complex. This course shows speakers how to use both logical and emotional arguments to persuade an audience round to your perspective.
- Confidence boosting: TED methods are highly empowering and confidence boosting. We encourage your speakers to think bigger and bolder than they have ever done before.
- Innovation: Delegates learn how to find and deliver innovative ideas that will get the audience talking about – and remembering- their message.
- Reduced reliance on notes: Most TED speakers do not use notes, so we show speakers how to rely on their memory, thus improving their connection with the audience.
- Integrated learning: Because the course is highly participative
- A completed TED style talk: By the end of the course all participants will have devised a TED worthy talk – and delivered it to an audience at a showcase event.